In part one of this series on media kits, we are going to explore exactly what a media kit is and why you need one for your business, pronto!
To begin, answer a few simple questions for me….
- Do you want to make (more) money with your blog?
- Do you want to be taken seriously / be more credible?
- Do you want to find new writing or speaking opportunities?
- Do you want to tell people who you are in a professional and visually compelling manner?
- Do you want to increase your traffic and social reach?
If you answered YES to any one of the following questions then you my friend, need a media kit!
Media kits are also commonly called “Press Kits” depending on what circle you roll with (PR/Media vs Business/Blogging etc) but are interchangeable terms for the same product. Media kits are a package of targeted marketing materials that promote your brand/business/blog to an intended audience and a specific purpose (ie. purchase advertising).
Your media kit needs to clearly define WHO you are, and WHAT makes you unique in a world of millions of bloggers (in a clear, concise and visually pleasing way). So think of your media kit as your blogging resume, you need it to stand out from the crowd in order to catch the attention of potential advertisers/sponsors/interviewees/brands in order to gain the opportunitie(s) that you want. Our next post will cover what goes into a successful media kit and different ways to create one! Stay tuned!